IELTS required for WA state sponsorship

woodymcfc

We have now decided that I will be the main applicant for our SS 176, The nursing registration board are taking too long to sort their end out, so we will carry on with that for the OH in the background whilst we apply for SS once the SMP is released, hopefully i'll be on it !!!!! Just to let you all know, I have recieved confirmation from a WA government representative, whom I spoke with at the expo in Manchester last sunday, that if you want State Sponsorship from WA when the SMP is released then you MUST sit the IELTS GENERAL exam and receive an overall mark of 7.0 !!!!!! regardless of where you are from !!!!! yes that applies to us from the UK also, no exemptions !!!! After the problems we have had with the Academic test for the OH's nursing it looks like now I have to sit it, luckily it should be a little easier, not on the pocket though, another £110 !!!!! looks like the rumours where true after all !!!!!!

I went to the expo at Australia house in September and posted on PIO that I had heard the exact same thing from the WA representative.

I booked my IELTS and just received the results this morning....

Listening 9.0

Reading 7.5

Writing 7.0

Speaking 9.0

Overall band score 8.0.....not convinced about the 7 and 7.5 ( I read A LOT and I went over the paper twice, thought I had at least a 8)

But never mind, I passed that's the main thing!

One more hurdle crossed, although I'm not convinced I'm going to apply to WA now as i've a few reservations regarding the numbers they're allowing in this year.

Good luck to anyone taking their IELTS, hadn't been in an exam situation for about 23 years so I don't think its fair we should have to take a test designed for foriegn students ...but thats another matter....

Lots of info on youtube if you look ...step by step instructions on how to write an essay etc....invaluable when your a Bricklayer!

Cheers

Paul:santa3::santa3::santa3:

We have now decided that I will be the main applicant for our SS 176, The nursing registration board are taking too long to sort their end out, so we will carry on with that for the OH in the background whilst we apply for SS once the SMP is released, hopefully i'll be on it !!!!! Just to let you all know, I have recieved confirmation from a WA government representative, whom I spoke with at the expo in Manchester last sunday, that if you want State Sponsorship from WA when the SMP is released then you MUST sit the IELTS GENERAL exam and receive an overall mark of 7.0 !!!!!! regardless of where you are from !!!!! yes that applies to us from the UK also, no exemptions !!!! After the problems we have had with the Academic test for the OH's nursing it looks like now I have to sit it, luckily it should be a little easier, not on the pocket though, another £110 !!!!! looks like the rumours where true after all !!!!!!

:eek: yr kidding ! Oh bugger lol :arghh: hubby is out of the country for months on end :wideeyed:no chance of getting to sit exam , thanks for the info

So this is for ALL accupations then?

I was told all trades.......I even e-mailed Sue Harcus at WA gov in London and she said they were "considering" it........

I reckon it will be all trades,not all occupations....but thats just my opinion.

Don't know why a Bricklayer needs it yet a Radiographer doesn't ?

Cheers

Paul

I was told all trades.......I even e-mailed Sue Harcus at WA gov in London and she said they were "considering" it........

I reckon it will be all trades,not all occupations....but thats just my opinion.

Don't know why a Bricklayer needs it yet a Radiographer doesn't ?

Cheers

Paul

Same person who I spoke with last week and said it was needed, not sure if she said just trades though. I have a sheet at home i'll have a look at later when I finish work.

Our agent told us its for trades!! Hubby not happy with being british yet having to pay out £110 to prove he can read, write, listen and speak British!! Hmmm seems another way of making money out of people who desperately want to better their lives and those of their children

Our agent told us its for trades!! Hubby not happy with being british yet having to pay out £110 to prove he can read, write, listen and speak British!! Hmmm seems another way of making money out of people who desperately want to better their lives and those of their children

Agree totally, imagine though your OH sitting the academic test 5 times, 0.5 marks short in reading part on all ocassions, for her nursing registration. Deciding then to apply as me as main applicant and having to sit the stupid bloody test !!!! £660 spent + travelling expenses + extra tuition for OH, probably spent close to £1000 and only just starting the process !!!!!!!

Agree totally, imagine though your OH sitting the academic test 5 times, 0.5 marks short in reading part on all ocassions, for her nursing registration. Deciding then to apply as me as main applicant and having to sit the stupid bloody test !!!! £660 spent + travelling expenses + extra tuition for OH, probably spent close to £1000 and only just starting the process !!!!!!!

Thats an absolute nightmare mate.

It's totally wrong that native British speakers should have to sit this test just so it is seen to be "fair" on everyone.

The test was designed for foreign students (who have just came from an academic environment) .

Lots of money being made for an unnecessary hassle.

My FIRST word ever SPOKEN,HEARD,READ or WRITTEN were English and I have been using this language for 39 years.

I feel for everone taking the IELTS, its very frustrating but stick in there......

If it doesn't kill you it'll make you stronger!

:wink:

Cheers

Paul

Those this apply to the trades if you have passed your vetassess, i was under the impression as if you have passed your vetassess you do not need to do your ielts because you have already satisfied the basic criteria fo WA SS..

I hope im right or another load of cash is going out pronto:arghh:

I've Bern watching this thread and have a question! It's probably one of those questions that nobody knows the answer to, but here goes!

When speaking to WA people was it mentioned that old applicants need to sit the test as well? I wonder whether they will want that as part if the SMP plan??

Those this apply to the trades if you have passed your vetassess, i was under the impression as if you have passed your vetassess you do not need to do your ielts because you have already satisfied the basic criteria fo WA SS..

Thats what WA are are saying (although not officially yet),I was told I needed it at the expo at Australia House in September by a WA representative.

Sorry but thats the word at the minute,although as I said I don't believe thev've made an official statement yet (probably when the SMP is released).

I would book it now to avoid the mad scramble!

P.S I thought my Vetassess would be all that was required also.

Cheers

Paul

Guest perth42

I spoke to our agent today. He has been led to believe that we may hear about smp's in November be it the 1st or 30th! I asked about rumors about tradies taking ilets for WA... he said he would not be surprised as they want the cream of the crop! He also said they (WA) may also add more hoops for us to jump through such as X amount of years in the last (say 7-10) in your current trade/profession. If this is the case I think we may look else where!

For us this has to be the worst news as it happened to us in 2005! My hubby went back into his trade (motor mechanic) and an agent we met at an expo said we would get in no problem with 12 months back in the trade. We were burnt and lost out to £2k @ the time. So we left it a couple of years and started again last summer, and with a new year sent our new uk agent all our docs...only to have the news in feb...the rest is history and why we are all on here! Vetassess passed just waiting like a monkey in the circus for the next update....

One day I hope we get the visa's we have worked so hard for, and the same for others in the same position.

:confused::twitcy::sad::arghh:

I explained to the gov rep that I had passed the skills assessment via TRA (electrician special class). she did say that it will be a requirement for State sponsorship, from my understanding the skills assessment is part of the whole process !!

I've Bern watching this thread and have a question! It's probably one of those questions that nobody knows the answer to, but here goes!

When speaking to WA people was it mentioned that old applicants need to sit the test as well? I wonder whether they will want that as part if the SMP plan??

Jodie,

They didn't say anything about existing applicants to me,only that I should achieve at least a 7.0 in all componants.

Sorry I can't help,maybe e-mail WA to make sure?

It would be very unfair to expect existing applicants to take the test retrospectively though wouldn't it?

Cheers

Paul

Jodie,

They didn't say anything about existing applicants to me,only that I should achieve at least a 7.0 in all componants.

Sorry I can't help,maybe e-mail WA to make sure?

It would be very unfair to expect existing applicants to take the test retrospectively though wouldn't it?

Cheers

Paul

Paul,

I don't think DIAC or the states care about fairness as we have all seen in the last year or so!

I may email our agent to ask if they have heard any rumours!

I'm not that worried if they start asking about so many years in the trade as OH has bern doing his trade for 10 years!

Hi all just looking for some clarification here. If (a) you have passed TRA,( March 2009), (b) received SS from WA,(May 2009), © are on NEW SOL, ie currently cat 3 (d) your occupation top priority in demand in WA and your 176 visa application lodged in June 2009, you may NOW be required to do the ILETS even though we've been hearing that all the states ,(and DIAC), have said there would be a straight forward and painless transition from state sponsorship on to the new SMPs?

Richard

I explained to the gov rep that I had passed the skills assessment via TRA (electrician special class). she did say that it will be a requirement for State sponsorship, from my understanding the skills assessment is part of the whole process !!

Very True, i thought that under the ANZCO codes our trades ie General plumber were IELTS 7, i understood we only had to do the IELTs to get extra points.... ie 175 visa..

Its not bloody fair if after all the Vetassess stages and the time taken now to get this far and then have to pay more money to try and get WA SS....

How much is the IELTS test anyway... more and more hoops to jump through...

Coupled with the pants currency rate im considering either changing states for SS or pulling the plug as this is now becoming financialy not worth it, if i now have got to do the IELTS...:realmad:

I bet the person who comes up with these ideas cant even spell or write in ENGLISH properly anyway :jimlad:

Cheers NICK (GENERALLY P...... OFF PLUMBER) waiting for the WA SMP with only a VETASSESS PASS show for all my Troubles since AUGUST 09..

Hi,

been reading this and the other IELTS thread(s). Posted on one of the other topics, was concerned we may of missed something whilst applying ( no agent).

Been back over the SS application, and you cannot apply for state sponsership for WA (not sure about other states), without having IELTS OR being a UK citizen with a UK passport (you are exempt from IELTS). So by their own criteria, we couldnt of obtained SS without either IELTS or being UK citizens.

Checked visa application, and TRA application, again I'm sure (not 100%) that you cannot obtain/apply without proof of english language (IELTS or UK passport/citizen) .

I know some trades need to have a certain level of english language competence, as requested by DIAC/TRA/Vetasses, but to my limited knowledge it was mainly building/associated trades?

For myself, being a Toolmaker, as I am led to believe, I do not need to sit the IELTS? Or maybe someone can enlighten me?

However, what happens, once/if the SMP's are finalised/released, is anyones guess, but as others have pointed out, its rather bizarre asking a British citizen, living in UK, who only speaks English to sit an exam to test their "English competence" - oh and we will be £110 lighter........................

Paul & Babs

Hi,

been reading this and the other IELTS thread(s). Posted on one of the other topics, was concerned we may of missed something whilst applying ( no agent).

Been back over the SS application, and you cannot apply for state sponsership for WA (not sure about other states), without having IELTS OR being a UK citizen with a UK passport (you are exempt from IELTS). So by their own criteria, we couldnt of obtained SS without either IELTS or being UK citizens.

Checked visa application, and TRA application, again I'm sure (not 100%) that you cannot obtain/apply without proof of english language (IELTS or UK passport/citizen) .

I know some trades need to have a certain level of english language competence, as requested by DIAC/TRA/Vetasses, but to my limited knowledge it was mainly building/associated trades?

For myself, being a Toolmaker, as I am led to believe, I do not need to sit the IELTS? Or maybe someone can enlighten me?

However, what happens, once/if the SMP's are finalised/released, is anyones guess, but as others have pointed out, its rather bizarre asking a British citizen, living in UK, who only speaks English to sit an exam to test their "English competence" - oh and we will be £110 lighter........................

Paul & Babs

You are quite correct in all of the above but according to the WA government rep the IELTS will be a new requirement, once the SMP is released, IF you want state sponsorship no matter where you are from. Will it be required for existing applicants ? who knows ??

You are quite correct in all of the above but according to the WA government rep the IELTS will be a new requirement, once the SMP is released, IF you want state sponsorship no matter where you are from. Will it be required for existing applicants ? who knows ??

Good advice, so the bottom line could be that when the SMP is released and i only need 10 points ie WA SS i should really take the IELTS...

If i take the ielts how quick do you get the results and do you get a certificate etc that you have to attach to your SS application...

The quickest ielts test place for me is on 6/11/10 near me, im worried that if the smp has come out that all the available visa apps will go and ill miss it..

Also those anyone know that if i have 110 points already, if i do the ielts and pass as 7's for a General plumber, would that give me enough to go the 175 skilled route without SS, thus giving me the chance to go to QLZ if i was on their SMP..:chatterbox:

Any advice is welcome.. Thanks NICK

Guest AustrAnglian

It took about 2 weeks from the test date for me to get my IELTS results. They give you an A4 size certificate and I included a certified copy of it in my SS app. Yes, you can gain another 10 points for your GSM app if you have at least all 7's so 120 points will be enough for a 175. If you go for a 175 you don't need to be on any state's SMP but the downside of not going for state sponsorship is you won't be in the category 2 processing so it will take longer to get your visa (and if you are in category 4 you may be parked indefinitely.

The information on needing IELTS has all been coming from WA so there's no information to know if this will be across all states or just WA or just for certain occupations or nationalities - we don't know more than what people have been told verbally. I agree it's good advice to go and register for the IELTS and once the SMPs are out you may have a head start if/when the requirements are known and you can make a more informed decision on which way to go with your GSM app at that time. Cheers and all the best.

Hi Nick,

after some of the previous posts about gaining extra points for doing IELTS I have just spent 30 minutes filling in the online app form for a 175 as I am in the same position as you only having 110 points. So after wasting my time, at the end of the form I still only have 110 points.......... I have overall score of 9 in the IELTS, you only gain extra points if you have another language skill........ don't waste your time, wait for SS.

Sharon

Hi Nick,

after some of the previous posts about gaining extra points for doing IELTS I have just spent 30 minutes filling in the online app form for a 175 as I am in the same position as you only having 110 points. So after wasting my time, at the end of the form I still only have 110 points.......... I have overall score of 9 in the IELTS, you only gain extra points if you have another language skill........ don't waste your time, wait for SS.

Sharon

For the visa application if you have competent english i.e UK passport, you will receive 15 points.........

If you have proficient English i.e IELTS general score of 7 in each subject you will receive 25 points...........

see this link............

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

regards

Archived